The Warrensburg Cumberland
Presbyterian Church was organized in September, 1866 in the old
court house in Old Town. Rev. J. B. Morrow was the first
pastor. Meetings were held there until a hall on the east side
of the Holden Street just north of Culton Street was completed.
Services were held there until a fire destroyed the building and
practically every building on Holden Street.
After the fire, the Cumberland's worshipped in a hotel,
which in 1881 was known as the Eads Hotel. After holding
services there for two years they began having services in the Old
School Presbyterian Church until the present site was purchased in
1874 and a building was erected at a cost of $1,600. It was a
frame building which faced west and was equipped with an organ,
bell, good seats, pulpit and other conveniences. This building
was tore down in August, 1889 and a new on built, which is the
The new building was a frame building which was built
to face south with a beautiful, large stained glass window on the
south side. This building was built in the form of a perfect
Greek cross with a bell at the apex of the roof. This bell was
later removed and sold to the Warren Street Methodist Church.
Other improvements have been: constructing inside steps
to the basement from the west room, painting the interior of the
sanctuary and side rooms, constructing a nursery and a pastor's
office in the west room, installing new pews, carpeting the
sanctuary, side room and vestibules, and installing air-conditioning
throughout the church. The beautiful stained glass window was
installed over the organ October 7th, 1989.
Extensive repairs were needed when the beautiful
stained glass windows of the church were broken by hail when a
terrible hail, wind and rain storm hit Warrensburg March 15th, 1982.
Those windows were all replaced as near as possible to the original
ones. Plexiglass was then placed over the stained glass
windows to protect them so this would not happen again.
Our church has served God ad man for 139 years.
We have worshipped in the same building for over 100 years.
Our prayer is that we have served him well.
--Compiled by Mrs. Imogene (Wayman) McMillan
facilities at Warrensburg Cumberland are accessible to the physically